Your Third Chakra – The Solar Plexus Chakra:
The Solar Plexus Chakra, or the Third Chakra, is located in between the rib cage and the belly button, associated with the color warm yellow and the element of Fire. This chakra says “I DO or I CAN.”
Third Chakra Cheat Sheet:
Lotus: TEN PETALS
Mantra: I CAN
Asanas: OPEN STERNUM – BACK BENDS, CAMEL, FLOOR BOW
Mudra: HANDS IN FRONT OF NAVAL, FINGERS OUTSTRETCHED AND ALL TIPS TOUCHING, RIGHT THUMB OVER LEFT THUMB
Scents: GRAPEFRUIT, LEMONGRASS, LEMON, PEPPERMINT
Tea: LEMON GRASS, CINNAMON, GINGER, LEMON PEEL (Lemon-Ginger anyone? Yum!)
Stones: TIGERS EYE AND AMBER (think of that beautiful warm yellow color).
This is the seat of ego identity and your power center. Located here is your potential for transformation and soul integrity. Your courage, self-esteem and willpower all reside here. Any beliefs you have about yourself and your abilities, your “gut feelings,” so much is effected by this chakra because it is linked to what we BELIEVE we can do.
“Whether you think you can or think you can’t – you are right.” -Henry Ford
When out of balance: If the manipura chakra is unbalanced, it manifests in the form of anxiety or shame: negative self-esteem, feelings of unworthiness, and questioning oneself.
Bring it back in Balance:
- A simple way to connect with this space can be to wear the color yellow and/or soak in the sun for fifteen minutes. Bonus if you do both and place your hand two inches above your belly button and hold it there while you breathe. Imagine a fire of your power burning brightly and with strength.
- Sit in a quiet space and listen to sounds or chants associated with this chakra. Tip: My favorite is to pull up a chant, song or singing bowls of healing chakra music on YouTube – specifically targeted at the chakra needing balance. Search “third chakra healing” or “solar plexus chakra meditation.”
- In meditation, you have the option to close your eyes and chant RAM or simply concentrate on the mantra I CAN (poem below), with hands in the solar plexus chakra mudra or yoga asana (posture).
- Turn on your favorite music and practice the yoga flow I outlined below. Even 10-15 minutes would feel beneficial.
- All practices combined would be incredibly beneficial (chakra specific meditation, yoga, music, scents, colors, mudras, chants, and stones nearby)
- Chakra energy clearing massage or energy work by a professional.
- Incorporate the color yellow into your wardrobe, wear the stones associated with this chakra in jewelry or place in your pockets, and place something yellow in your work space, meditation area or bed (it acts as a simple as a reminder to pay attention to your chakra intention – you will start to see the color yellow everywhere. It truly helps!).
- My favorite: Write out a card with the mantra quote below and place it on your desk at work or on your bathroom mirror at home – repeat it several times a day. Optional to place your hands on your upper belly while you close your eyes or simply smile.
Solar Plexus Yoga Postures: Asanas (postures) that aid in strengthening this chakra are any type of back bend (where the sternum is spread open and wide), such as standing back bend, camel pose or floor bow. Supported savasana or corpse pose for at least 10 minutes will also allow the body to heal and activate this third chakra.
Try these yoga postures to connect with the solar plexus chakra, which will help balance your body’s energy (try all the postures together in sequence for a beautiful flowing third chakra yoga meditation practice):
Begin with three sun salutations to slowly open the body and sternum
Back bend three times, moving only with full breaths
Cat/Cow to Open the Spine Further
Savasana with hands placed above the belly button and below the rib cage
Solar Plexus Mudra: Mudras are another way of capturing energy between mind and body, and used to heal and focus on certain afflictions in your mind and body. Just as powerful as the asana (yoga exercises), this movement of your hands removes blockages in the body and aids with focus in meditation.
- Find a comfortable seated position and sit with a tall, long spine. Pull your shoulders down and back to open up your chest. Bring hands in front of naval, extend the rest of your fingers out and touch finger tips together, cross right thumb over left thumb. Relax your hands comfortably on your knees.
- Try this position for three deep inhales and exhales, concentrating on the sound ‘RAM,’ which is the solar plexus chakra chant. If you are new to meditation or calming breath, challenge yourself to sit for one minute or longer – the longer, the better effects.
Anahata Chakra Essential Oil Therapy: The sense of smell is the most powerful tool the human body has to effect mood. It is the fastest thing to bring back memory or to lift your spirits. Use this in conjunction with a heart yoga sequence, mudra, meditation, and mantra, and your will have powerfully strengthened your heart energy and come back to the base of ‘I LOVE.’
- When using essential oil:
- Dab a dot on your wrists and neck
- In a diffuser to enhance your home smell (amazing to use in-home and easily found online – in the meantime boiling a few drops in water will do the trick to infuse your home as well)
- Dilute into a spray bottle with a few drops oil the rest water to spray your space in yoga or at home
- Add few drops into your bath tub
- Rub on skin topically with a vehicle like coconut oil
- Here are four examples of scents related to the Solar Plexus Chakra: Lemongrass, Lemon, Grapefruit, Peppermint
Solar Plexus Mantra: “I am the power of peace. I express my power with vast peacefulness. My power is inviting. My power is making a difference in the world – just by being me. I am courageous. I am whole. I stand in my power.” -Author Unknown
* * *
Seven Chakra Overview –
This seven part chakra series is designed as a tool to help you focus your attention and energy on yourself, in order to improve how you feel and react to the world around you.
If one of the descriptions in this seven part series speaks to you, or you feel a connection with the information, listen to that intuition and try a few of the exercises and test out how you feel. In daily life there are negative and positive events everyone must come across; however, negative energies can take a toll on our bodies, and areas can become “blocked” or “choked.”
These exercises are methods to break through those blockages and clean out the body to regain strength with peace of mind and body.
The spine is a very powerful and central part of the human anatomy. Along your spine you have tiny nerve endings that flow energy out to all different parts of your body to perform everyday activities. Just like exercise and stretching helps strengthen muscles and ultimately bones, the spine is in need of attention as well.
There are seven main energy points along the spine, each connected to very specific body and mind function. If one of these energy centers is off or unhealthy, both the body and mind become unbalanced.
Yoga and meditation practice are important to every day health, because they both allow constant unclogging of these seven energy points.
For more on each of the seven chakras:
First Chakra: Root Chakra – Muladhara
Second Chakra: Sacral Chakra – Svadhisthana
Third Chakra: Solar Plexus Chakra – Manipura
Fourth Chakra: Heart Chakra – Anahata
Fifth Chakra: Throat Chakra – Vishuddha
Sixth Chakra: Third Eye Chakra – Ajna
Seventh Chakra: Crown Chakra – Sahasrara
The light in me honors and respects the light in each and every one of you,
Do you have any practices you like to incorporate into Chakra healing?